Saturday, May 4, 2013

Mother's Day

Here is another idea from the Friend May 2004.

I used this a few years ago and it was a great way to introduce the song when the kids aren't too familiar with this mother's day song. I do miss the section in the Friend that used to help music leaders and had sharing time ideas, but I guess with blogs these days it isn't as hard to find ideas.

"We show love for our mothers by listening carefully, obeying, and speaking kindly. Before Primary, hide wordstrips (LOVE US, TEACH US, GUIDE US, HELP US) around the room. Sing the first verse of “Mother, I Love You” (p. 207). Read aloud some of the responsibilities of mothers from “The Family: A Proclamation to the World,” paragraphs 6 and 7. Have the children listen for what mothers are primarily responsible for (the nurture of their children, which includes teaching, guiding, and caring for them).
 
Play the game “Mother, May I?” to find the wordstrips that describe ways mothers nurture their children. Divide the children into four groups and choose a child from each group to stand anywhere in the room. Make statements that direct each child to find a hidden wordstrip. (For example, “John, you may take 10 giant steps toward me,” “Maria, you may take 6 side steps to the left.”) As you continue to direct each child, he or she must ask “Mother, may I?” before taking any steps. If the child forgets to respond by first saying “Mother, may I?”, choose another child from that group to take his or her place. When all the wordstrips have been found, have the children work in groups to act out ways they can show how mothers do what is on their wordstrip. Let the Primary guess the answers.

Sing the second verse of “Mother, I Love You.” Have the children listen for ways they can show love for their mothers (help you, mind you). Bear testimony of the importance and blessing of mothers in our lives."

I will say that be mindful of the younger children (sunbeams) if you have them play Mother May I? I just noticed that they were a little confused if I would say no. I think they thought they did something wrong or were in trouble. It was interesting. So I stopped saying no to them but the older kids thought it was funny when I would say no. That is just my small tip.

1 comment: